Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Radio City... whatte Fun

Radio City 91.1 FM has become an important number in my mornings, and like me to a lot of people in Bangalore and across the metros. While driving to office this is your daily dose on the happenings around the city, the traffic updates, and a lot of other crap, which is nice to hear. Radio has always been an important part of my morning routines since childhood, I still remember waking up in the morning, getting ready for school, but all this while "vividh Bharati" playing in the back ground, with my favorite show of that time Chitralok! Well that was one show which used to air new latest songs, as at that time the only way to hear new Filmi songs was to buy an audio cassette, but then chitralok was a sponsored program which used to air advertisements and audio trailers of movies.

Nowadays since I don't get Chitralok here in Bangalore on Vividh Bharati, I stick to Radio City, with my favorite RJ Vasanthi on her breakfast show. Lately there has been too many radio FM channels, I used to be quite fond of Fever 104 FM as they concentrated on music more and less on advertisements, but the most painful thing with these radio channels (except Radio City) is that their RJs are PATHETIC, they keep cracking pathetic PJs to which you feel like banging the car to the very next pole. But still if you can bear the pain of some advertisements, the quality of "Bakar" on radio City stands apart. I have been following Vasanthi's breakfast show (in the mornings) and Aviva's Joy Ride (in the evenings) and I find them quite entertaining and informative!

But I still miss my good old vividh Bharati...citralok, hawa mehel, that typical trumpet tune of Jaymala, that brings back my childhood memories, getting ready for the school bus, those chilly winter mornings when you and your vividh Bharati are the only things humming when there is still dark outside. At that time I used to miss new songs on the radio a lot, but now all these FM channels are not able to satisfy my hunger for old songs! except on Fridays when Vasanthi plays Friday Flashback, this is one show I love, and the trivias.....but alas I cant hear that entire program, my office comes after 20-30 minutes drive!

Song Today: Raat Akeli hai...
Film: Jewel Thief

9 comments:

Priya Arun said...

I'm a huge fan of Radio Mirchi (98.3FM)..and yeah, nothing like the banter on the radio during a hectic ride to work! I'm not sure if Radio City is around in Hyderabad, but there are 4 others, but somehow not as pro as Mirchi.

Shantanu said...

@Priya

I guess it the the RJ's "bakar" that makes the radio staion interesting, anyways the maximum number of radio stations air kannada songs (including Radio Mirchi) and me not being very fluent in that language find it tough. So the best option we are left with is Radio City! :P

Metallica bhakt! said...

I generally like Big fm (92.7) as they are a fair enough mix of loadsa bakar yet good music!! though in Mumbai until recently Radio One was famous among youngsters but it lost it tag as they decided to cater to the masses and stopped playing English songs!! overall even Mirchi plays good stuff at times!

Shantanu said...

@metallica Bhakt!

hmm it seems the choice of Radio station is driven by Region as well :P

Metallica bhakt! said...

oh common!! :) It depends on individual choice re dude!

Rays Of Sun said...

I used to love the Vividh Bharati...So many pleasant memories of childhood:-)

Shantanu said...

@rays of sun
Chalo finally somebody who remembers Vividh bharati, and that special tunes of Jaymala ... etc

Thanks for visiting White light, I hope you will continue doing that :P

Rays Of Sun said...

if you speak hindi..theres a line that says 'Bachpan ki saundhi khushboo' which measns "Fragrance of childhood lingers forever':)

Shantanu said...

@rays of sun
yeah I do speak Hindi (I am from the heart of Hindi Land ... UP :)). Right, sachmuch yaad dila deta hai :)