Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Cab Menace

Recently I have been observing a new breed of drivers quite closely, the cab drivers. Some of their traits are:

1) Extremely ill mannered
2) They don't know the use of brakes in their cabs
3) Doesn't have any concern for the pedestrians
4) 90% of the time are on their mobiles while driving
5) Would always honk on a "red light"
6) Have a very strong union, so doesn't matter whose fault it is, its always the non cab end who has to pay
7) A lot of them doesn't know how to talk to the fairer sex
8) will always stop on the left side of the red light even if they have to take a right turn

These are only some to list, I am sure that the list is endless. Yesterday I went for running as usual and I was nearly killed by a speeding cab, and all I see is a hand that comes out of it... in a gesture of sorry. What the heck, the Bangalore roads are becoming increasingly unsafe for the people walking / running and yes you are right the credit goes to all these cab drivers. Earlier I used to see a number written on all the cabs "if found driving rash please call" but lately none of the cabs have it. I know that nothing would happen even if I give them a call, but then too there was a hope... but now even that doesn't seems to be there. If you try going to the police station, the situation might just become worse, I have been told by a cop that you give money to this cab wala or I am going to frame you in a false charge, all these cab owners send their respective share of money to the Police station every month, this is their hafta for breaking the law.

The other day I was standing at a red light, the light was still red but the traffic at the other end stopped, the cars started moving, I decided not to break the rule and kept standing, soon a cab came next to me and started abusing me, do we need to get abused for following a rule ?

A number of times I have experienced during running that these cab walas make fun out of you, during one such incident one of the cab walas intentionally came very close to me so that I jump off the footpath.... and then I hear is a burst of laughter.

If any of you know the helpline for traffic police in Bangalore please drop a comment here, now I have decided, even if nothing changes then too I am going to complain and get a number generated, someday something might happen. But all these software companies hiring these cabs should seriously bring some rule in place.

Song Today: Turn Turn Turn by Byrds

4 comments:

Phoenix said...

welcome to india :P

Shantanu said...

@Pheonix
Yeah.. we have still a long way to go

The Illuminator said...

There is an interesting development that has happened in Mumbai on the Cab Drivers front. They are being given etiquette training in special seminars and workshops. Imagine a taxi driver opening the door for you the next time you approach the cab. Also their are pink taxis in the pipeline meant only for ladies. ( i dun like pink but the idea is good)

Shantanu said...

@whispering shadow
Nice development, but I guess Bangalore cab drivers have a long way to go.... but yes I like the idea of the pink taxi!

Shantanu