Sunday, June 24, 2007

Saturday


Woke up at 9:00 am , wanted to sleep a little longer than normal, a typical in Trupti (my place in Bangalore) , or wanted to enjoy the weekend my way. Had to wash the clothes, so that was one task planned for morning as soon as I woke up. I had a hard time figuring out how to operate the washing machine, as everything was written in German, maybe here your common sense works, which button should do what, while I was trying to figure these things out I thought about the importance of English in our daily lives, maybe the people in Germany and Austria are realizing these facts now pretty late though, that is why they have made English Compulsory in their schools, anyways better Late than never. Finally I was able to wash the clothes, and it wont be this tough now at least for the two weeks to come.

Took a bath hastily as I had planned to go to the Danube Island festival , this is a festival being organized by the Austrian Tourism Deptt to promote Tourism every summer in the end of June, I was lucky to be here at around that time! I took a U-6 to Neou Donnou from Alser Srtasse , and then walked for about a KM to finally come to the place where this festival was. Now this festival was organized on an Island, on both the sides of this island is river Danube, pretty clean!

The festival was more sort of an advanced "mela" with people singing and dancing and there were lot of stalls of eatables, drinks etc. Roamed the whole of this "mela" it had different sections for "Jhoolas" "Khana Peena" and singing and Dancing, pretty nice place and unlike des it was clean also. At this point I thought that its not the infrastructure that makes a Nation an advanced nation , its actually the citizens who develop a civic sense in the due course of time that do! When the people stop screwing the infrastructure developed by the Government, or in other words by their own money (tax payers). back in Des a lot of money goes in to maintain the infrastructure screwed by the crowd. Anyways it was a nice place, I didn't have breakfast in the morning so had chicken sandwich and a Diet Coke, while buying the diet coke I again had a tough time trying to explain to the lady what I want, maybe here in Austria Coke markets Diet coke as Coca Cola "Light"! anyways I again thought its not the fault of Coke, maybe its English!! Everything was very expensive there so I settled for a sandwich and a Coke.

I roamed there for about 2.5 Hrs and then got bored, and moreover I was tired, thought that I would getr back to my Flat, watch some BBC and then go off to sleep, and then maybe in the evening I can again venture out somewhere on my own. I reached the Apartment at 3:30 pm and was very tired, didn't have the energy to make anything to eat... and I went to sleep.

I woke up at around 5:15 pm, felt fresh, turned on the television only to find out again that there is nothing which comes in English, so I again went back to the only English channel BBC WORLD, I am convinced that after watching BBC for 21 days here I can become an adviser to the Indian Govt on European Affairs, the Global Warming issue, European Union, Poland's threat of a Veto in the European Union........and the list goes on.

Just wanted to chill today at home and hence didn't go out anywhere, tomorrow is Sunday so I will again go to the Danube Island Festival and then to Stephanzplatz !

Song Today: Pyar ke Mod pe
Film: Parinda

No comments: