Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Walk down the Memory Lane....

Today while having lunch with office colleagues, we discussed the old DD Serials, and couldn't help posting about them. I think that the current channels should look at these Serials as an inspiration, of how you could get the entire nation glued to their television screens without spending crores!

Mr Yogi
Mohan Gokhale was amazing in this, in the role of Yogesh Eshwar Lal Patel (Y.I. Patel). A young guy who comes down from the US to get married. An awesome comedy serial with YI Patel meeting a different set of girls (for matrimonial purpose) every week!

Udaan:
This had resemblance to Kiran Bedi's fight as the first women IPS officer. Kavita Chaudhary in the lead role, and Shekhar Kapur as "DM Sitapur" whom she falls in love with finally. I must say that this was one serial which portrayed the real rural India and its problems from an IPS officer's eyes.

Life Line Jeevan Rekha:
A story of doctors and their lives. Every week there used to be a different battle for this group of doctors in a Mumbai hospital. Main cast-Sachin Khedekar,K.K Raina,Tanvi Azmi,Ila Arun,Narendra Gupta.

Byomkesh Bakshi
I am sure that nobody's going to forget this amazing Serial. with Rajat Kapoor in the lead role, I think this is the best detective serial till date. The stories looked so realistic, with no terrorism / anti India factors. Just like something happened in your neighborhood

Muzrim Haajir
Nutan and Virendra Singh were in the lead roles. Navni Parihar's first Serial!

Circus
Who can forget this serial now, the chocolate boy shahrukh khan

Bharat ek khoj
One of my favorite serials, used to come on Sundays, based on Jawahar Lal Nehru's book: discovery of India. I particularly used to like the title song "shristi se pahle kucchh nahi tha....."

Ramayan and Mahabharat
I think everybody knows how life used to come to a standstill when Mahabharat was aired, and for Ramayan everybody started taking Deepika and Arun as the real Ram and Sita!

Sigma
The first science fiction serial on indian television

Chanakya
A masterpiece by Dr Chandraparakash Dwivedi. So sad that it was never aired again. I wanted to see it again, as at that time I was a kid. Would understand a lot more things now.

Rangoli and Chitrahaar
Used to wait for them the entire week, as they were the only ways we could watch the filmi songs. I still remember the Wednesday Chitrahaar used to air new songs and the friday one used to air old Filmi songs! And I am sure everybody remembers that rangoli was followed by Gurbani, when we used to take a bath and get ready for the 9:00 am cartoon shows

Tehkikaat
Starring Vijay Aanand and Saurabh Shukla, this was again a good Mystery serial, but not better than Byomkesh Bakshi

Karamchand
Pankaj Kapoor in the lead role, and the famous "Kitty" as her assistant.

Fauji
The famous Dialogue "I say Chaps" . And Shahrukh Khan

This is just to name a few. The list is endless:
Mongeri Lal Ki Haseen Sapne
Nukkad
Farmaan
Intezaar
Humraahi
Mrignayani
Kille ka rahasya
Honi Anhoni
Surbhi

To name a few more!!!

3 comments:

meghsuds said...

I would like to add Buniyaad. It had me completely hooked. I was glad to see Fauji. We were in 8th class and Thursdays would mean discussing SRK on Wednesday's episode of Fauji.

Phoenix said...

I don't remember all of them, but quite a few of them. Recently watched Byomkesh Bakshi and just downloaded Chanakya for a proper watch :D

Shantanu said...

@Meghana
My favorite were Byomkesh Bakshi and Bharat ek Khoj

@pheonix
good idea, I will also download Chanakya!