Monday, June 21, 2010

Mile markers - I

The title of this series is shamelessly copied from Kirsten Armstrong’s blog name.

I have been doing some good training over the last 3-4 weeks. Thanks to Meher, she has taken the pains of putting a torturous plan in place, which concentrates on hill workouts and loooots of mileage for our muscles. The key during this training is getting fast in the marathons, the first test would be in Kaveri Trail marathon which will be on 19th Sept 2010 in Srirangapatnam. Well I would agree that this is not one of the ideal places to test, as it is very hot during that time and since we would be running alongside a canal it gets pretty humid as well. But I guess that would be stress testing

So coming back to the runs, I have been covering an average distance of 40K on the weekend and some 15K on the weekdays, now that is some serious running, I am quite happy with my performance till now, and still keeping my fingers crossed because this torturous plan takes up to a whooping 96Km week. I think the key here would be to stay in good shape and not do anything stupid and get injured. So as an action plan I am not cycling to work these days, but still controlling my carbon footprint with the use of Public Transport (Volvo City buses).

Also while running all these Kilometres I again did a dissection of the Mumbai disaster this year and found out and made some more corrections:

1)     Never forget a cap in Mumbai marathon
2)     If possible wear sunglasses as well

The above two points are very very important, specially having a good cap, I underestimated both of them and then the bright sun hit me at the 27th KM, which further made the things worse

3)     Always carry your own fuel bottles
4)     Carry common salt

Apart from all these things I am not going to carry my iPod during the marathon this year, it get a little irritating after some time. Will try to listen to Mumbai this year!

No comments: