Sunday, December 16, 2007

8 hrs of pain...running..... walking...... crawling




Finally I have completed 52K at the Bangalore Ultra, this was definitely one of the best organized races ever in India. talk about the aid stations, the enthu of the volunteers, the quality of certificates / medals and last but not the least the trail, everything was class apart.

The race started at 6:00 am, it was still dark and was a liitle difficult to actually figure out the way on the trail. I decided to cover as much distance as I can in the morning , as after the sun comes out it is going to be very difficult. I completed 26 K in about 2.5 hrs, i.e by 8:30 and then the tough part started, sun was out and unfortunately it was pretty hot yesterday, but the enthu of all the runners was very high, I completed another 13 K and by the time I was starting my last lap the heat was bad and the time was around 11:00 11:30 am now this lap was the toughest, probably I completed the entire 13K limping / crawling, there was a point when I thought after 39 K that I would stop but then I thought that its only 13 K more left and I can finish it, but I underestimated the last 13K. It was tough... very tough.

Finally I completed the race in 8 Hrs, I cannot explain the feeling I had. There weas a new energy inside me after I completed For sometime I just forgot the pain in my knee and hamstring. I guess in every marathon you are running against yourself, your mind tells you to carry on, your body tells you to stop, and this always happens in an Ultra Marathon, where the distances are more that 42K. Running is definitely 50% mental and 50% physical.

Today my knee and Hamstring are really bad ... limping in the office wearing the Bangalore Ultra T-Shirt with the tag line "I am togh Are you ?" I guess now I am eligible to waer this T-Shirt!

Song Today: Ankhon main Teri
Film: Om Shanti Om

9 comments:

shaivya said...

hehehe proud of what u accomplished...Awesome bhai :)

manoj said...

Hey Santanu,
Good job on the Ultra!!
next time round i wanna see you finish stronger buddy!
Till then flaunt that medal! You deserve it!

Shantanu said...

@Shaivya
Thnx!

@Manoj
Thx manoj! yeah flaunting the medal as well as the T-shirt, we had some nice chat at the run too!

Metallica bhakt! said...

Thats damn cool yaar!! Congrats!!52Km is like sooooo much when I think of it re.. too cool!! Cheers! :)I guess 42km at the StanChart Mumbai Marathon is gonna be a piece of cake for u!! ;)

Shantanu said...

@Metallica Bhakt!
Thanx! yeah I hope the Mumbai marathon shouldnt be an issue, but I just pray that my hamstring gets better by that time :)

Unknown said...

Congrats!!! Keep it up ! :) We wanna see the certificate to really certify you! :)

Shantanu said...

@Prajna
hehehe okay! will bring the certificate which says I ran "52" Km!!

Tanvir Kazmi said...

Congratulations Shantanu for running and finishing this amazing run. I guess you guys are part of history now... having run the first ultra marathon in India... and what an organization it was from what I read. Amazing... keep it going!

-Tanvir

Shantanu said...

@tanvir
thanx for visiting white light
yeah you are absolutely right , this was one of the best organized races in India.

Were u there ?