Sunday, May 20, 2007

Bangalore Midnight Marathon : 19th May 2007


So I am back with my account of the Bangalore Midnight Marathon. Supposedly this was the world's first Midnight Marathon, but I cant relate with the concept of running all night, however there is no second thought to it that we had a gala time there! I guess the organizers went for the Midnight Marathon because it is too hot during the day, and moreover in a place like Bangalore it would be a Herculean task to block the roads during the day even on weekends.

We reached at around 11:00 pm , the place a a little mismanaged as we went to ITPL for the first time and we had really a hard time finding the I-Gate office, this was the place the Marathon was supposed to start from. The Celebration run (5.5 KMs) was over in the evening itself. I was running the half Marathon, last time we ran the celebration run, so this time we were like graduating for the half Marathon.

There were 4 laps, each lap of around 5 KMs, I ran about 13 KMs continuously, and then I took a brisk walk for about 600 Mts and then again started running but the last 1.5 laps were really tough for me, but I am glad that I completed 21 KMs. It wasn't boring at all, well for entertainment I had my Ipod, our gang with Nitin, Vaibhav, Rajaram, and above all were the people running next to you, it was fun talking to them getting to know so many people, from different walks of life. I completed 21 KMs in about 3 Hrs so I had plenty of time to talk to the other people who by the 4th lap were all struggling to complete the lap, as the people who were more comfortable with 21 KMs had already completed in about 2 Hrs 20-25 Minutes.

The arrangement of water was very good I guess we had stalls for water at every 500 Mts, there were some people who turned up to cheer thei9r friends. Oh I forgot to mention , I saw the Kannada actress Ramya, well we were not able to recognize her as she was looking too ordinary, and frankly speaking some of the girls running the marathon had a lot of potential caliber in the film industry than Ramya, but she kicked started the full Marathon (42 KMs) and then I dont know where she disappeared!

It was a great experience, would like to run the next half marathon whenever it is organized, and would concentrate in improving my time!

Song Today: O Meri Jaan
Film: Life in a...Metro

2 comments:

Nitin said...

Shantanu - there is a new entrant to the club - guess who !! ?

who else but manoj !

enjoy madi, and run, run with manoj

Shantanu said...

hey man this is actually like "bagal main chhora sheher main dhindora!!"

Chalo humare "Helthy ways of life" ka kisi par to asar pada!