Sunday, February 24, 2008

Shoes....


Ever since I have started running, I have found this great time pass / interest, going to the shoe stores and checking out the new running shoes. No it doesn't stop here, I even keep observing people's feet and their running shoes (and no I am not a foot fetish :P). Well now the justification for observing people's feet, I just try to observe they are flat footed / normal arched / or high arched, well you see a the choice of shoe depends a lot on these observations. Now coming to me, I have a normal arched foot, but I have an over pronating feet, well to start it, let me give you the definition of foot pronation, as wikipedia says:

The pronated foot is one in which the heel bone angles inward and the arch tends to collapse. A "knock-kneed" person has overly pronated feet. This flattens the arch as the foot strikes the ground in order to absorb shock when the heel hits the ground, and to assist in balance during mid-stance. If habits develop, this action can lead to foot pain as well as knee pain, shin splints, achilles tendonitits and plantar fasciitis

so when you have a over or under pronating feet you need to be extra cautious while getting a running shoe, as a wrong choice of running shoe can land you up with major leg and back injuries. Even I was ignorant to this fact, when I started running I used to slip on any shoes and run long distances in that, I soon developed pain in my back and knees. Then Rajat told me the importance of running shoes, since then I have done a lot of research on this topic, and now I think I can give decent shoe / foot fundas to newbies!

Now Its been close to two years that I have been running, and I am 4 times marathoner as well , yesterday in the RFL runs we were categorized as veterans as well, wow! thats an honor!!! But still we have gurus in the veteran category and the learning phase never ends. So coming back to the topic, I finally thought that this time I should pamper myself with a good running shoe. So the best a runner's feet can ever get is an Asics, I thought of getting an Asics Gel Kayano-14, this shoe is for over pronators.On one of my runs with Rajat, I told him that I am going for an Asics Gel Kayano-14, he ttold me if somebody is wearing those, I should first try it on and then order, as sometimes Asics over corrects the pronation , and that shouldn't happen (one more lesson learnt). Nitin wears a Gel Kayano-13, so Saturday I borrowed his shoe for a long run, and believe me, Asics is the best thing your feet can ever get. It was like a love affair between the shoe and the feet, yes the same love affair which Rajat has been telling about me since a lot of time, has finally happened. During your long runs if your feet are not bothering you, then they are in love with the shoes that they are in, not even once I thought about any pain, blister, toe nails wafter getting into those shoes.

So the latest item on the top of my wishlist is Asics Gel Kayano-14!!!!!

Related Links:
-Asics America
-Pronation on Wikipedia
-Runner's World

Song Today: Aaj kal paaon zameen par nahi rukte mere :P

No comments: