Sunday, August 5, 2007

Angoor Khatte Hain.......

The Definition given by Wikipedia : Sour grapes is the false denial of desire for something sought but not acquired; to denigrate and feign disdain for that which one could not attain.The phrase is sometimes also used to refer to one expressing, in an unsportsmanlike or ungracious way, anger or frustration at having failed to acquire something.

Well now coming to the incident, Nitin and me thought that we would go for a long run on Sunday, and then we were not able to wake up early in the morning , so we thought that we would probably go at around 12:00 noon for a run! Rathi also joined us, we decided to go towards the outer ring road. Well we were not just running not even looking at the people passing by or the traffic but then too people kept saying "paagal hain" I recalled the phrase angoor khatte hain, this specially works with distance running, maybe a lot of people want to do it... secretly but then their reactions to your passion for running would be something like these:

1) Paagal hain
2) I dont think that I need to run (Well I never said that you need to run.....)
3) yaar itna patla hokar bhi kya karega (I don't know why people always relate running to losing weight)
4) yaar itna khaali time aa gaya hai kya? (well there is no free time, but if you want to do something you need to find time for it)

So you see in all these cases Angoor Khatte hain phenomenon is applicable! ;-)

2 comments:

Nitin said...

another one I have heard a lot is just plain simple why ?. One would tell others that I went for a run, and the prompt response would be why, as if going for a run is committing a crime.

Shantanu said...

@Nitin

This answer is perfect:
Q: Why do you run?
A: Why do you ask?

heheheheh I know I also have faced this a lot of times! :)