Monday, October 5, 2009

Confused

Scenario:
I went to SBI (State Bank of India) to open a PPF (Public Provident Fund) account.

Reality Check:

The Documents required for opening of this account are as follows:

1) Address Proof

-Yay, I have a lot of address proofs! Water Bill, electricity bill, Rent agreement, but all are in my flat owners name, since I am on rent here, they are not in my name, so what, they still would be valid. When the Election Commission of India accepts it, so should they, attached with a valid Identity proof, and nationality proof
Reality Check: No they are not valid, you need an address proof in YOUR Name. Now that seems a tough task, why don't these government authorities sync with each other, why do you require "n" number of documents for "n" different purposes.

-Oh okay, I have a Landline and Mobile Phone in my name, and on this address, and the good news is that they do accept these private suervice provider's bills. But since I wanted to be nature friendly, I have registered for e-bill, obviously in order to save paper. So I can take a printout from my online account (of the mobile pohone service provider) and that should work!
Reality check: No you need a bill which has been delivered to your address, but what happens to the nature, I have registered for the e-bill. Well then I cancel that, wait for a month, get the bill and will use that. Now I want to cancel the paper bill and want to revert back to the e-bill, but there is some error / miscommunication, I don't know what, and the paper bill still keeps coming, f*&k with nature....

- Can I use the company letter stating that I live on this address, since the Passport authority of India accepts this, so should SBI. Isn't Passport authority of India more concerned about frauds and security ?
Reality Check: No they don't accept this, my company needs to have all salary accounts with them......

2) Passport Copy

-Wow I have that !

3) PAN Card:

-I have that as well!

But this bloody address proof gives me frustration every time I go to these authorities. I just hope that after the unique UID assignment these problems wont creep up. But wait, isnt that a Govenrment authority as well ? Weren't there already enough number of identities available? I am confused

No comments: